Friday, November 30, 2012

A Rose by any Other Name Still Smells as Sweet...

When i was a child, i absolutely hated my name.  Memory was not your everyday run of the mill jenny or susie. I was jealous of all my friends getting this or that with their names on them. Notepads, pens, stickers, t-shirts and anything else you can possibly imagine growing up in the '70s and '80s.
Then as i grew older, boys started calling me different versions like memorex, memo, one of my favorites "memo the limo". Now what The hell does that mean? More greats...mercury, misery and people  who just couldnt remember.  They would say, "i know its something really weird or strange and start spouting out Melody or Melonie or Mandy. I would try to tell them, but it ine inevitably turned inro a game for them.
On and on this went until I  realized what A blessing i had been given. The name Memory.  I am no run of the mill person. I have my quirks and i love it. I like so many different things. Art, history, creating just about anything makes me fulfilled. I can find beauty in the most mundane objects. Photography my favorite hobby along with creating collages out of things many people would look at and think "ugly". I don't See ugly very often unless its someone's behavior.  Or maybe politics or litter on our beautiful land.
Names are very special, all of them. They are often the first impression. I couldn't See my children with any other names. Or my friends and family. I am so proud of my name and yours and being a mom, i know how hard it is to choose.  Wow, talk about pressure.  Its funny.
Hope everyone carries their name with joy and dignity. I know I do. James and Aidan are fairly common, but I hope Magnolia Jane  appreciates being named after herr great great grandmother and her great Grandmothers.
Eveyone give someone A hug today and spread a bit of happiness around. In these times we need it.
As i always say...make it happen, noone else will for you.
Enjoy the rolling stones song Memory Motel. I just heard it for the first time today. And i thought I'd heard all the "memories" songs!!

Just an aside...my beautiful sister, five years younger than me is named Stephany after the dancer in the movie "Saturday Night Fever". Oh, did i love that movie!  I was a boogie machine! 
Life is good.


Watch "The Rolling Stones - Memory Motel (Live with Dave Mathews)" on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cowl02DXx3A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

No comments:

Post a Comment