Monday, March 26, 2012

The art of appreciation

The easiest thing in the world to do is to say "thank you!". So what's the deal? Sometimes I feel everything is taken for granted. For me saying a quick thanks is like putting on your seatbelt. After a while it is not even thought about. It's just natural instinct. I got my husband a Bauhaus book written by Tom Wolfe. Short easy read, two people he admires, and a cheap birthday present for someone who probably doesn't deserve it, along with some small moleskin notebooks for his work. Honestly, I thought long and hard about this because he was going to get a rock. Like I said before, separation is hard. The man looked at the gift shuffled through the pages and I know he liked it , bit did I get a thank you? NO! I just don't understand the feeling of entitlement. Did he feel since it was his birthday he was owed a present? Was he just being mean? I'm assuming it was probably the latter. My sons thanked me for the Oder eaters I gave them for their shoes. And believe me it was not a hard decision to decide to get those! What has this taught me? No more gifts for Jamie. Ha. Appreciation is very important to the feelings of others, and I'm going to make sure people know how much I appreciate them. For the big and small and just for them being themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment